Work Position: Associate Professor
Laboratory of Wastewater Management & Treatment Technologies
Process optimization and control of wastewater treatment plants
1991: University of Stuttgart Germany, Department of Inorganic Chemistry, Ph.D. in Chemistry
1988: University of Stuttgart Germany, Department of Chemistry, BSc degree in Chemistry (5 years) (Diplom-Universitat), April 1988
Current research activity is the development of innovative technologies that complement and improve the performance of conventional wastewater treatment technologies. It covers topics such as:
1. Research, development, optimisation and control of aerobic and anaerobic biological processes for wastewater treatment.
2. Research and development of methods for biological nutrient removal.
3. Enhanced biogas production by Anaerobic Sludge Digestion and Co-digestion with agricultural wastewaters (olive mill effluents, wastewater from biodiesel production) by mechanical (ultra sound), chemical and biological processes.
4. Development and implementation of microbial sensors for efficient process control in wastewater treatment plants.
5. Solar drying of sewage sludge and its reuse in the ceramic industry.
6. Solids Handling and Processing.
7. Enhanced wastewater treatment by membranes for water reuse.
8. Dewatering of primary settled urban sludge in vertical flow wetland Filters.
9. Identification, quantification and treatment of micro-pollutants in sewage treatment plants
10. Treatment and management of municipal landfill leachate.
1. Water treatment technologies, 8th semester mandatory course
2. Process optimization and control of wastewater treatment plants, 9th semester, optional course
3. German language É, 2th semester optional course
4. Laboratory courses
4.1 Wastewater management and treatment technologies I
4.2 Wastewater management and treatment technologies II
4.3 Environmental microbiology
Post graduate courses
1. Program for postgraduate studies (MSc) "Environmental Engineering and Science", Department of Environmental Engineering of the Democritus University
2. Wastewater treatment, 1st semester, mandatory course
3. Advanced technologies in wastewater treatment and reuse, 2nd semester, optional course
4. Modeling and automatic process control of biological processes, 2nd semester, optional course
5. Program for postgraduate studies (MSc) "Environmental technologies in the legislation on the Environment", Department of Environmental Engineering of the Democritus University
6. Treatment technologies in the drinking water regulation
7. Inter-University and inter-departmental Post Graduate Program "Systems Engineering Management", organized from the Department of Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering & Computer Engineering and Environmental Engineering of the Democritus University in collaboration with the Department of Business Management & Administration of the University of Macedonia
8. Course C3 (Water and Wastewater Treatment): "Water and wastewater treatment"
9. Course C1 (Environmental Systems Management and Modeling):«Modeling of wastewater treatment plants»
10. Inter-departmental Post Graduate Program "Hydraulic mechanic" organized from the Department of Civil Engineering, Section of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering of the Democritus University
11. "Nutrient removal from wastewater - Biosolids treatment"
Development of anaerobic biosensors for toxic detection and control of biogas production Funded by the research center Julich 01-07-1997 31-10-1998
Innovation for the development of new environment protection technologies and exploitation of natural resources General Secretariat Research and Technology 20-06-2006 30-04-2007
Anaerobic co-digestion of wastewater treatment plant waste sludge and agro-industry wastes Funded by the National Technical Chamber of Greece 25-09-2006 31-12-2011
Integrated management wastewater treatment plant waste sludge and wastewater treatment using natural systems Community Support Framework 2000-2006 of the Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace 03/-2007-06/2008
Solar drying of excess sludge from the municipal wastewater treatment plant Kavala, Funded by the Municipality of Kavala,06/2007-09/2008
Analytical and technical support of the company Environmental Engineering – (ENYA) during disinfections experiments of the SBR effluent by UV in Gerakas Xanthis, Funded by the company Environmental Engineering (ENYA), 09/2007-12/2009
Anaerobic sludge co-digestion with glycerin (byproduct of biodiesel production) to boost the biogas production, Funded by the company Hellenic Biodiesel SA, 07/2009-07/2010
Advisory support "Problem solving in the wastewater treatment plants of the Municipality of Moudania Funded by the Municipality of Moudania, 04/2009-06/2011
Wastewater treatment process optimization using membranes Funded by the National Technical Chamber of Greece 05/2011-05/2014
Wastewater treatment process optimization using intermittent aeration and periodic feeding, Funded by the National Technical Chamber of Greece 03/2012-03/2015
Advisory support of the inter-municipal Waste Management Company of the 2nd Administrative Unit Pref. of Chalkidiki (DEDA 2nd D.E.) by the biological treatment optimization of the landfill leachate Funded by the DEDA 2nd D.E. Prefecture of Chalkidiki 02/2013-02/2014
Advisory support of the company "Analytical Laboratories Athens SA" in the implementation of program "Drinking water control" in the Thassos Municipality, Funded by the Company Analytical Laboratories Athens SA 04/2013-04/2014
Advisory support of the company "Analytical Laboratories Athens SA" in the implementation of program "Drinking water control" in the Thassos Municipality, Funded by the Company Analytical Laboratories Athens SA 06/2014-06/2015
Investigation of the coagulation-flocculation and sedimentation system following by ultrafiltration in order to improve the landfill leachate treatment process from the municipal solids landfill Anthemountas (inter-municipal Waste Management Company of the 2nd Administrative Unit Pref. of Chalkidiki), Funded by the Company Solid Waste management Entity of Central Macedonia (FoDSA) 12/2013-06/2015
Control automation of the activated sludge processes in a membrane bioreactor operated with intermittent aeration and periodical feeding, Funded by the National Technical Chamber of Greece 4/2015-4/2018
Examples of recent publications
Associate Professor P. Melidis is the author of 41 papers in international journals and of 45 international and national conference papers. According to Scopus his published work has received more than 597 citations (h index = 11)
Paraschos Melidis, Spyridon Ntougias, Varvara Vasilatou, George Skouteris, Konstantinos Azis, Vasileios Diamantis , Alexandros Alexandridis Biofouling Aspects and Critical Flux Evaluation in an Intermittently Aerated and Fed Submerged Membrane Bioreactor (2016) Environ. Process. Article in Press DOI 10.1007/s40710-016-0159-x
Ntougias, S., Tsiamis, G., Soultani, D., Melidis, P. Dominance of rumen microorganisms during cheese whey acidification: acidogenesis can be governed by a rare Selenomonas lacticifex-type fermentation (2015) Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 10 p. Article in Press. DOI: 10.1007/s00253-015-6827-3
Ntougias, S., Melidis, P., Navrozidou, E., Tzegkas, F. Diversity and efficiency of anthracene-degrading bacteria isolated from a denitrifying activated sludge system treating municipal wastewater (2015) International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 97, pp. 151-158. DOI: 10.1016/j.ibiod.2014.11.009
Skouteris, G., Saroj, D., Melidis, P., Hai, F.I., Ouki, S. The effect of activated carbon addition on membrane bioreactor processes for wastewater treatment and reclamation - A critical review (2015) Bioresource Technology. Article in Press. DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2015.03.010
Paraschos Melidis, Fluoride removal from Aluminium finishing wastewater by Hydroxyapatite. Environ. Process. (2015) 2:205–213. DOI 10.1007/s40710-014-0056-0
Paraschos Melidis, Landfill leachate nutrient removal using intermittent aeration. Environ. Process. (2014) 1:221–230. DOI 10.1007/s40710-014-0022-x
Diamantis, V.I., Kapagiannidis, A.G., Ntougias, S., Tataki, V., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Two-stage CSTR-UASB digestion enables superior and alkali addition-free cheese whey treatment (2014) Biochemical Engineering Journal, 84, pp. 45-52. Cited 3 times. DOI: 10.1016/j.bej.2014.01.001
Athanasoulia, E., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Co-digestion of sewage sludge and crude glycerol from biodiesel production (2014) Renewable Energy, 62, pp. 73-78. Cited 4 times. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2013.06.040
Melidis, P., Kapagiannidis, A.G., Ntougias, S., Davididou, K., Aivasidis, A. Performance and metabolic aspects of a novel enhanced biological phosphorus removal system with intermittent feeding and alternate aeration (2014) Water Science and Technology, 69 (8), pp. 1612-1619. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2013.811
Melidis, P., Ntougias, S., Sertis, C. On-line monitoring of a BNR process using in situ ammonium and nitrate probes and biomass nitrification-denitrification rates in an intermittently aerated and pulse fed bioreactor (2014) Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 89 (10), pp. 1516-1522. Cited 1 time. DOI: 10.1002/jctb.4230
Diamantis, V.I., Anagnostopoulos, K., Melidis, P., Ntougias, S., Aivasidis, A. Intermittent operation of low pressure UF membranes for sewage reuse at household level (2013) Water Science and Technology, 68 (4), pp. 799-806. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2013.304
Diamantis, V., Verstraete, W., Eftaxias, A., Bundervoet, B., Vlaeminck, S.E., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Sewage pre-concentration for maximum recovery and reuse at decentralized level (2013) Water Science and Technology, 67 (6), pp. 1188-1193. Cited 2 times. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2013.639
Mathioudakis, V.L., Kapagiannidis, A.G., Athanasoulia, E., Paltzoglou, A.D., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Sewage Sludge Solar Drying: Experiences from the First Pilot-Scale Application in Greece (2013) Drying Technology, 31 (5), pp. 519-526. Cited 2 times. DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2012.744998
Athanasoulia, E., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Optimization of biogas production from waste activated sludge through serial digestion (2012) Renewable Energy, 47, pp. 147-151. Cited 18 times. DOI:10.1016/j.renene.2012.04.038
Athanasoulia, E., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Anaerobic waste activated sludge co-digestion with olive mill wastewater (2012) Water Science and Technology, 65 (12), pp. 2251-2257. Cited 4 times. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2012.139
Ntougias, S., Tanasidis, S., Melidis, P. Microfaunal indicators, Ciliophora phylogeny and protozoan population shifts in an intermittently aerated and fed bioreactor (2011) Journal of Hazardous Materials, 186 (2-3), pp. 1862-1869. Cited 1 time. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.12.099
Vaiopoulou, E., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Process control, energy recovery and cost savings in acetic acid wastewater treatment (2011) Journal of Hazardous Materials, 186 (2-3), pp. 1141-1146. Cited 3 times. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.11.115
Diamantis, V.I., Antoniou, I., Athanasoulia, E., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Recovery of reusable water from sewage using aerated flat-sheet membranes (2010) Water Science and Technology, 62 (12), pp. 2769-2775. Cited 1 time. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2010.009
Kantartzi, S., Melidis, P., Aivasidis, A. Intermittent feeding of wastewater in combination with alternating aeration for complete denitrification and control of filaments (2010) Water Science and Technology, 61 (9), pp. 2259-2266. Cited 3 times. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2010.136