Position: Assistant Professor in Environmental Microbiology
Laboratory: Laboratory of Wastewater Management and Treatment Technologies
Ph.D. Degree, Department of Biological Sciences, Wye College, University of London.
B.Sc. in Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Athens.
Dr. Spyridon Ntougias is an Assistant Professor in Environmental Microbiology at the Department of Environmental Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace. He studied chemistry and received his Ph.D. in 1999 from the Department of Biological Sciences, Wye College, University of London. His main research interests are the wastewater treatment, the identification of microbial communities and the taxonomic description of novel taxa. He has been involved in 18 international and national research projects. He has 46 research publications in scientific journals (Scholar: Hindex: 17, Citations: 748; Scopus: Hindex: 15, Heterocitations: 459), 3 chapter books, 1 international patent and 31 and 21 participations in international and national conferences, respectively. He described three novel bacterial genera and species, i.e. Alkalibacterium olivapovliticus gen. nov. sp. nov., Olivibacter sitiensis gen. nov. sp. nov. and Halotalea alkalilenta gen. nov. sp. nov., and emended the family Halomonadaceae. He participated in the last edition of “Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology”, describing the genus Alkalibacterium, and has published the genome sequences of O. sitiensis and H. alkalilenta type strains. He is referee in about 50 scientific journals in the area of Environmental Microbiology and Engineering, member of the Board of Directors of the Greek microbiological society “Mikrobiokosmos” (Member of Federation of European Microbiological Societies-FEMS) and guest editor of Biomed International Journal.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment
Wastewater Management and Treatment Technologies I (Laboratory practicals)
Chemistry (Laboratory practicals)
Selected research projects:
• "Technical support to the Municipality of Moudania to solve the operational problems of the wastewater treatment plants of the Municipality", ÊÅ 80028, funded by the Municipality of Moudania
• "Support of the intermunicipal public enterprise for waste management of the 2nd Administrative Regional Unit Chalkidiki for the treatment optimization of the Anthemounta landfill leachate", ÊÅ 81167, funded by 2nd Administrative Regional Unit Chalkidiki, Greece.
• "Optimization of microbial analyses in dairy industry Rodopi S.A.", KE 81370, funded by RODOPI S.A.
• "Pilot-scale investigation on coagulation-floculation and ultrafiltration to upgrade leachate treatment of Ánthemounta landfill" ÊÅ 81288, funded by 2nd Administrative Regional Unit Chalkidiki, Greece
• "Scientific support of the company ERGASIS TECHNIKI S.A. by optimizing the operation of the biological treatment plant treating the leachate of the solid waste landfill of EDESSA, KE 81631, funded by ERGASIS TECHNIKI S.A.
• Ntougias, S.* (2016). Phylogenetic identification and enzyme activities of indigenous bacteria from a landfill stabilization pond. Environmental Processes (DOI 10.1007/s40710-016-0150-6).
• Ntougias, S.*, Tsiamis, G., Soultani, D., Melidis, P. (2015). Dominance of rumen microorganisms during cheese whey acidification: acidogenesis can be governed by a rare Selenomonas lacticifex-type fermentation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 99, 9309-9318.
• Ntougias, S., Lapidus, A., Copeland, A., Reddy, T.B.K., Pati, A., Ivanova, N.N., Markowitz, V.M., Klenk, H.-P., Woyke, T., Fasseas, C., Kyrpides, N.C., Zervakis, G.I. (2015). High-quality permanent draft genome sequence of the extremely osmotolerant diphenol degrading bacterium Halotalea alkalilenta AW-7T, and emended description of the genus Halotalea. Standards in Genomic Sciences 10:52 (DOI: 10.1186/s40793-015-0052-7).
• Ntougias, S., Baldrian, P., Ehaliotis, C., Nerud, F., Merhautova, V., Zervakis G.I. (2015). Olive mill wastewater biodegradation potential of white-rot fungi – Mode of action of fungal culture extracts and effects of ligninolytic enzymes. Bioresource Technology 189, 121-130.
• Ntougias, S.*, Melidis, P., Navrozidou, E., Tzegkas, F. (2015). Diversity and efficiency of anthracene-degrading bacteria isolated from a denitrifying activated sludge system treating municipal wastewater. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation 97, 151-158.
• Papadelli, M. and Ntougias, S.* (2014). Microbial community structure and disposal issues of table olive wastewaters generated from the fermentation of the olive cultivar 'Kalamon'. Annals of Microbiology 64, 1483–1492.
• Ntougias, S., Lapidus, A., Han, J., Mavromatis, K., Pati, A., Chen, A., Klenk, H.-P., Woyke, T., Fasseas, C., Kyrpides, N.C. and Zervakis, G.I. (2014). High quality draft genome sequence of Olivibacter sitiensis type strain (AW-6T), a diphenol degrader with genes involved in the catechol pathway. Standards in Genomic Sciences 9, 783-793.
• Ntougias, S.* (2014). Phylogeny and ecophysiological features of prokaryotes isolated from temporary saline tidal pools. Annals of Microbiology 64, 599-609.
• Ntougias, S., Gaitis, F., Katsaris, P., Skoulika, S., Iliopoulos, N., Zervakis, G.I. (2013). The effects of olives harvest period and production year on olive mill wastewater properties - Evaluation of Pleurotus strains as bioindicators of the effluent's toxicity. Chemosphere 92, 399-405.
• Ntougias, S., Bourtzis, K. and Tsiamis, G. (2013). The microbiology of olive mill wastes. Biomed Research International art. no. 784591.
• Ntougias, S., Baldrian, P., Ehaliotis, C., Nerud, F., Antoniou, T., Merhautova, V. and Zervakis, G. I. (2012). Biodegradation and detoxification of olive mill wastewater by selected strains of the mushroom genera Ganoderma and Pleurotus. Chemosphere 88, 620-626.
• Ntougias, S.*, Tanasidis, S. and Melidis, P. (2011). Microfaunal indicators, Ciliophora phylogeny and protozoan population shifts in an intermittently aerated and fed bioreactor. Journal of Hazardous Materials 186, 1862-1869.
• Kavroulakis, N. and Ntougias, S.* (2011). Bacterial and ?-proteobacterial diversity in Olea europaea var. mastoidis- and O. europaea var. koroneiki-generated olive mill wastewaters: influence of cultivation and harvesting practice on bacterial community structure. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 27, 57–66.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Greek microbiological society “Mikrobiokosmos” (Member of Federation of European Microbiological Societies-FEMS)
• Guest Editor of "Biomed Research International" journal.
• Review Editor of "Frontiers in Microbiology" journal.
• Elsevier Reviewer recognition as "Valued Reviewer"
• Member of Scientific Committees
• Reviewer of 50 journals in the area of environmental microbiology and engineering
• Participation in the last edition of "Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology"
• External project evaluator
Contact: Address: Department of Environmental Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, Vas. Sofias 12, 67100 Xanthi, Greece Tel: +30 25410 79313 email: email@example.com