Laboratory: Solid and Hazardous Waste Management
Specialty: Solid waste management (FEK prokirixis 13-9-1995, Appointment FEK 145/23-8-1996).
Education: Postdoctoral Studies: Environmental Engineering and Science, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA (January 1984 – April 1986).
Ph.D.: Environmental Engineering and Science, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, USA (January 1984).
B.S. in Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece (May 1977).
1. Engineering and management of solid and hazardous waste.
2. Management of healthcare waste.
3. Management of construction and demolition waste.
4. Fate and transport of contaminants in subsurface systems (aquifers, unsaturated soils, landfills) and their remediation.
Undergraduate Courses Taught:
1. Solid Waste Engineering and Management – II
2. Hazardous Waste Engineering and Management
3. Soil and Groundwater Remediation
Indicative Research Projects:
1. Research Associate (Principal Investigator Professor V. Tsihrintzis): “Integrated management of sludge from wastewater treatment plants with natural systems”. Funded by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of Greece at the amount of 675750 euro, project number 1517 (December 2006 – November 2008).
2. Research Associate (Principal Investigator Professor K. Drainas): “Installment and operation of pilot scale units for remediation of petroleum-contaminated soil”. Funded by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of Greece at the amount of 105649 euro, project number 61/1496-PENED University of Ioannina, with Democritus University of Thrace as partner (2003 – 2008).
3. Director of the postgraduate program “Environmental Engineering and Science” of the Department of Environmental Engineering of Democritus University of Thrace with total budget 396564 euro (2009 – 2016).
? SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
1. Athanasiou, C.J., Tsalkidis, D.A., Kalogirou, E. and Voudrias, E.A. Feasibility analysis of municipal solid waste mass burning in the Region of East Macedonia – Thrace in Greece. Waste Management and Research, 33, 561-569 (2015).
2. Zarkadas, I.S., Sofikiti, A.S., Voudrias, E.A., and Pilidis, G.A. Thermophilic anaerobic digestion of pasteurized food wastes and dairy cattle manure in batch and large volume laboratory digesters: Focusing on mixing ratios. Renewable Energy, 80, 432-440 (2015).
3. Fytanidis, D.K. and Voudrias, E.A. Numerical simulation of landfill aeration using computational fluid dynamics. Waste Management, 34, 804-816 (2014).
4. Voudrias, E. and Graikos, A. Infectious medical waste management at the regional level. Journal of Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste, ASCE, ISSN 2153-5493/04014020(9) (2014).
5. Diamantis, V., Erguder, T.H., Aivasidis, A., Verstraete, W., and Voudrias, E. Wastewater disposal to landfill-sites: A synergistic solution for centralized management of olive mill wastewater and enhanced production of landfill gas. Journal of Environmental Management, 128, 427-434 (2013).
6. Voudrias, E., Goudakou, L., Kermenidou, M. and Softa, A. Composition and production rate of pharmaceutical and chemical waste from Xanthi General Hospital in Greece. Waste Management, 32, 1442-1452 (2012).
7. Komilis, D., Evangelou, A. and Voudrias, E. Monitoring and optimizing the co-composting of dewatered sludge: A mixture experimental design approach. Journal of Environmental Management, 92, 2241-2249 (2011).
8. Graikos, A., Voudrias, E., Papazachariou, A., Iosifidis, N. and Kalpakidou, M. Composition and production rate of medical waste from a small producer in Greece. Waste Management, 30, 1683-1689 (2010).
9. Karamalidis A. K., Evangelou A. C., Karabika E., Koukkou A. I., Drainas C. and Voudrias E. A. Laboratory scale bioremediation of petroleum-contaminated soil by indigenous microorganisms and added Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain Spet. Bioresource Technology, 101(16), 6545-6552 (2010).
10. Dolaptsoglou, C., Karpouzas, D.G., Menkissoglou-Spiroudi, U., Eleftherohorinos, I. and Voudrias, E.A. Influence of different organic amendments on the leaching and dissipation of Terbuthylazine in a column and field study. Journal of Environmental Quality, 38(2), 782-791 (2009).
11. Komilis, D., Voudrias, E.A., Anthoulakis, S. and Iosifidis, N. Composition and production rate of solid waste from dental laboratories in Xanthi, Greece. Waste Management, 29, 1208-1212 (2009).
12. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Leaching and immobilization behavior of Zn and Cr from cement-based stabilization/solidification of ash produced from incineration of refinery oily sludge. Environmental Engineering Science, 26(1), 81-96 (2009).
13. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Anion leaching from refinery oily sludge and ash from incineration of oily sludge stabilized/solidified with cement. Part I. Experimental results. Environmental Science and Technology, 42, 6116-6123 (2008).
14. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Anion leaching from refinery oily sludge and ash from incineration of oily sludge stabilized/solidified with cement. Part II. Modeling. Environmental Science and Technology, 42, 6124-6130 (2008).
15. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Leaching behavior of metals released from cement-stabilized/solidified refinery oily sludge by means of sequential toxicity characteristic leaching procedure. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 134(6), 493-504 (2008).
16. Karamalidis, A.K., Psycharis, V., Nicolis, I., Pavlidou, E., Benazeth, S. and Voudrias, E.A. Characterization of stabilized/solidified refinery oily sludge and incinerated refinery sludge with cement using XRD, SEM and EXAFS. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 43:10, 1144-1156 (2008).
17. Batziaka, V., Fytianos, K. and Voudrias, E.A. Leaching of nitrogen, phosphorus, TOC and COD from the biosolids of the municipal wastewater treatment plant of Thessaloniki. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 140(1-3), 331-338 (2008).
18. Diamantis, V. and Voudrias, E.A. Laboratory and pilot studies on reclamation of a salt-affected alluvial soil. Environmental Geology, 54(3), 643-651 (2008).
19. Chatzikosma, D., Panagiotakopoulos, D. and Voudrias, E.A. Assessment of alternative technologies for remediation of an uncontrolled landfill in Greece. In Landfill Aeration, iwwg monograph series, Edited by R. Stegmann and M. Ritzkowski, 350 pages (2007).
20. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Cement-based stabilization/solidification of oil refinery sludge: Leaching behavior of alkanes and PAHs. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 148, 122-135 (2007).
21. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Leaching of VOCs from cement-based stabilized/solidified refinery oily sludge, using solid phase microextraction. Environmental Technology, 28, 1173-1185 (2007).
22. Chatzikosma, D. and Voudrias, E.A. Simulation of polychlorinated biphenyls transport in the vadose zone. Environmental Geology, 53(1), 211-220 (2007).
23. Dolaptsoglou, C., Karpouzas, D.G., Menkissoglou-Spiroudi, U., Eleftherohorinos, I. and Voudrias, E.A. Influence of different organic amendments on the degradation, metabolism, and adsorption of Terbuthylazine. Journal of Environmental Quality, 36, 1793-1802 (2007).
24. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E.A. Release of Zn, Ni, Cu, SO42- and CrO42- as a function of pH from cement-based stabilized/solidified refinery oily sludge and ash from incineration of oily sludge. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 141, 591-606 (2007).
25. Gemitzi, A., Tsihrintzis, V.A., Voudrias, E.A., Petalas, C. and Stravodimos, G. Combining geographic information system, multicriteria evaluation techniques and fuzzy logic in siting MSW landfills. Environmental Geology, 51, 797-811 (2007).
26. Kizlary, E., Iosifidis, N., Voudrias, E., and Panagiotakopoulos, D. Composition and production rate of dental solid waste in Xanthi, Greece: variability among dentist groups. Waste Management, 25(6), 582-591 (2005).
27. Karamalidis, A. and Voudrias, E. “Application of Stabilization/Solidification technology on oil refinery sludge contaminated by heavy metals”. J. Env. Sci. and Health Part A- Toxic/Hazardous Substances & Environmental Engineering, A39(4), 961-971 (2004).
28. Voudrias, E.A. “The concept of a sorption chemical barrier for improving effectiveness of landfill liners”. Waste Management and Research, 20, 251-258 (2002).
29. Voudrias, E.A. “Pump-and-treat remediation of groundwater contaminated by hazardous waste: Can it really be achieved? Global Nest: the International Journal, 3(1), 1-10 (2001).
30. Voudrias, E.A. and Theodoseli, M. “An Excel spreadsheet for computing leachate production from municipal solid waste landfills”. Proceedings of International Solid Waste Association Congress, Istanbul, Turkey, vol. 2, pp. 875-882 (2002).
31. Nzengung, V.A., Nkedi-Kizza, P. and Voudrias, E.A. “Organic co-solvent effects on sorption kinetics of hydrophobic organic chemicals by organoclays”. Environmental Science and Technology, 31(5), 1470-1475 (1997).
32. Pearce, Á.Å., Voudrias, E.A. and Whelan, M.P. “Dissolution of TCE and TCA Pools in saturated subsurface systems”. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 120(5), 1191-1206 (1994).
There are a total of 70 publications in international peer-reviewed journals with 1212 citations by third authors and h index = 20 (Scopus, May 2016).